I finally made it – a sewing machine mat to sit under my machine and hold some smaller stuff in pockets that hang in front of the table. It started out very simple but then I decided to stitch scales around the different sushi. That added a lot of work and time but I think it did make it look better. I used some medium weight cotton with this awesome sushi print for the upper side. It has a little stretch to it. For the bottom, I took some off white medium weight cotton, which also has a little stretch. After stitching around all those sushi pictures, I sewed on the pockets by top stitching around the sides with some purple yarn.
And here the pictures of the finished mat: