Africa Bag

A couple of days ago I was looking through my fabric stash for some fabrics for my new 2010 project list. Of course, I did not find what I wanted, but something I had planned a long time ago and never finished.
Many years ago my relative from Cape Town gave me some wonderful fabric. It’s a cotton print with Africa animals on in. I had added some rough linen from another garment and some inside pockets and zippers from an old corduroy bag that had “died”.

Now that I had found this projects, I had to finish it, and forget about my new 2010 projects for a while. I always get side tracked like that – it’s horrible 🙂

So this is the final result – my Africa bag:

But let’s start from the beginning. Below is a picture of the original fabric patch and the linen that I used for the lining:

I first sewed the inside pockets, that I had rescued from the old corduroy bag onto the linen:

This is how it looked after I added the outside fabric and zipper – from the inside:

And from the outside without the handles yet:

Luckily I only got side tracked for two days – ha ha – but it’s going to happen again, I just know it.

Napkin Rings & Napkins

Just is time before Christmas I finished napkin rings and napkins for my aunt. I had bought the fabric a long time ago in Germany. I always felt this is a very elegant and festive fabric – somehow oriental but it also seemed to fit to Christmas a lot. The patters – or let’s say the directions on how to make them – I got from my Burda sewing club here in Milwaukee. We started with some right in our meeting and I finished them up in time – just in time 🙂
Here the whole bunch of them:

And this is how one napkin ring looks unroled and with the napkin:

I still have something left of the fabric and will make some more napkin rings and a table runner for myself from it.