Finally starting some sewing again. Two weeks ago my mom and sister visited and last week was crazy busy at work. I found am awesome fabric scrap that I am making place mats of. Here a pic of two out of four that are done.
But I need to stop digressing 🙂 On Sunday is the Etsy Craft Party Milwaukee for this month, and my friend Fen offered to model my creations. Check out her blog at http://beadflorajewels.blogspot.com/. This means I really need to get going. I know what I want to do, have the fabric and her measurements.
Today I started with a sketch of what I want to do. So essentially a dress and a tiny jacket. The jacket will be made of a wool fabric with a small plaid pattern. The dress is solid burgundy red with some gathers to make it flirty. I am thinking of possibly attaching a fabric flower made of the dress’ fabric to the jacket – have to see. Also wanted to use the dress’ fabric for the lining of the jacket.
So time is running short. Tomorrow I want to draft the pattern. Thursday, cut the fabric and possibly start sewing. Then I have Friday and Saturday to finish the ensemble. Ha ha, you think that’s too much – maybe, but that’s how I operate 🙂 No serious, I am just too lazy lately, need to kick myself a little.
The Danielle dress as well as the matching purse are finished and I have some pictures. Not the best ones, so I might have to adjust the post later once the rain is gone and I have a bit of nice natural daylight. Hopefully these are not to bad.
Last Monday I started this Barbie dress. I tried to do most with the machine, but had to put in the sleeves by hand as they are just so tiny. Next time I need to alter the pattern so I can add the sleeves with the machine before I close the side seam. I used a very simple white batiste and the pattern is from a pattern for an Eowyn dress fro Barbie I found online: Link. But I only used parts of it: the bodice, the sleeves (shortened) and the skirt, which is just a circle. After that was done I added the stitches, which took me about 3 days. I did id while watching TV, so it’s a nice side activity. The idea for the stitches I had from the Alabama Studio Style.
A couple of days ago I was looking through my fabric stash for some fabrics for my new 2010 project list. Of course, I did not find what I wanted, but something I had planned a long time ago and never finished. Many years ago my relative from Cape Town gave me some wonderful fabric. It’s a cotton print with Africa animals on in. I had added some rough linen from another garment and some inside pockets and zippers from an old corduroy bag that had “died”.
Now that I had found this projects, I had to finish it, and forget about my new 2010 projects for a while. I always get side tracked like that – it’s horrible 🙂
So this is the final result – my Africa bag:
But let’s start from the beginning. Below is a picture of the original fabric patch and the linen that I used for the lining:
I first sewed the inside pockets, that I had rescued from the old corduroy bag onto the linen:
This is how it looked after I added the outside fabric and zipper – from the inside:
And from the outside without the handles yet:
Luckily I only got side tracked for two days – ha ha – but it’s going to happen again, I just know it.
Just is time before Christmas I finished napkin rings and napkins for my aunt. I had bought the fabric a long time ago in Germany. I always felt this is a very elegant and festive fabric – somehow oriental but it also seemed to fit to Christmas a lot. The patters – or let’s say the directions on how to make them – I got from my Burda sewing club here in Milwaukee. We started with some right in our meeting and I finished them up in time – just in time 🙂 Here the whole bunch of them:
And this is how one napkin ring looks unroled and with the napkin:
I still have something left of the fabric and will make some more napkin rings and a table runner for myself from it.
I finally made it – a sewing machine mat to sit under my machine and hold some smaller stuff in pockets that hang in front of the table. It started out very simple but then I decided to stitch scales around the different sushi. That added a lot of work and time but I think it did make it look better. I used some medium weight cotton with this awesome sushi print for the upper side. It has a little stretch to it. For the bottom, I took some off white medium weight cotton, which also has a little stretch. After stitching around all those sushi pictures, I sewed on the pockets by top stitching around the sides with some purple yarn. And here the pictures of the finished mat:
A couple of weeks ago I found some tutorial on a pumpkin pin cushion tutorial on the Rachel Rabbit Blog. So I had to make one of some scrap fabric. It turned out really cute. Finally, I have a new pin cushion. The old one was a knitted octopus, and let me tell you knit does not make a very good pin cushion. Pins kept disappearing 🙂